The ESU 11 Gifted Department recently conducted Country School Activities in conjunction with the Nebraska Prairie Museum in Holdrege. 153 students participated in the activities. Some of the projects that they did were making butter, learning about the Blizzard of 1888, dipping candles, creating a raft to carry their wagon across the Missouri River, and writing with ink and nib pens. The students had a lot of fun as well as learned a lot about what it was like to live and attend school during the early 20th century. We think they’re all glad that they go to school now.
ESU #11 held the culminating event for Battle of the Books on Monday, May 7, 2018. There were 51 students from 11 school districts who gathered to celebrate reading and their accomplishments. There were different books and requirements based on the grade they were in. The big KaHoot winners were the Livre Gagnant team from Holdrege. The two students who completed the most activities were Allison Wall from Eustis-Farnam and Rianna Chaney from Elwood. Congratulations to all of the students and a HUGE thanks to all of the teachers who supported their students who participated.
The 27th Annual Invention Convention hosted by Educational Service Unit #11 of Holdrege, and organized by Janelle Jack, Gifted Education Coordinator was held Thursday, March 22, 2018 at Nebraska Prairie Museum in Holdrege. 143 inventors in Grades 3rd – 6th and 8th participated. Participating schools included: Alma, Cambridge, Franklin, Holdrege, and Minden.
Students were first judged in their grade level which was divided into groups called “Inventor’s Circles”. There were 14 different Inventor’s Circles which each had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner.
The judges then picked an overall winner for each Grade Level (3rd – 6th and 8th).
Circle & Grade Level winners are below.
Each inventor at Invention Convention casts one vote for their favorite invention to determine the winner of the Harold Warp Memorial Inventor’s Choice Award. The winners were Jenna Samuelson and Kyenna Smith, Holdrege, with the Musical Lights.
Invention Convention 2018
The 27th Annual Invention Convention hosted by Educational Service Unit #11 of Holdrege, and organized by Janelle Jack, Gifted Education Coordinator, was held Thursday, March 22, 2018, at Pioneer Village in Minden. 143 inventors in Grades 3rd, 6th and 8th participated. Participating schools included: Alma, Bertrand, Cambridge, Franklin, Holdrege, and Minden.
Students were first judged in their grade level which was divided into groups called “Inventor’s Circles”. There were 14 different Inventor’s Circles which each had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner. The judges then picked an overall winner for each Grade Level (3rd – 6th and 8th). Each student is given one vote for the Harold Warp Memorial Inventor’s Choice Award.
Eli Whitney Circle
- 1st Emma Goodrich – Minden – Dog Repellent Cat Collar
- 2nd Sophia Birkestrand and Chloe Osborn – Minden – Double Seater
- 3rd Braden Sandfort – Cambridge – Glovenator
Sir Isaac Newton Circle
- 1st Caleb Schwenka – Minden – P.S.B (Portable Scale Bucket)
- 2nd Stohri Rhynalds – Minden – Lite Tent
- 3rd Kaitlyn Bradley and Grady Faimon – Alma – Party on a Box
Bette Nesmith Graham Circle
- 1st Mason Johnson and Cael Smith – Minden – Reusable Grain Bag
- 1st Anneliese Carnahan – Holdrege – Portable Jacuzzi
- 3rd Landry Joyce and Turner Smith – Minden – Pipe Bug
Henry Ford Circle
- 1st Treven Keen – Minden – Toy Hanger
- 2nd Logan Verbeck and Kellan Conyers – Minden – Strap on Cleats
- 3rd Holt Aschenbrenner – Minden – Venom Taker
Overall 3rd Grade Winner – Caleb Schwenka – Minden – P.S.B (Portable Scale Bucket)
Benjamin Franklin Circle
- 1st Isabelle Martin – Minden – Desk Puzzle
- 2nd Abby Reith and Aydin McDougall – Minden – Desk Organizer
- 3rd Luke Grollmes – Minden – Absolute Seed Lines
Mary Anderson Circle
- 1st Titus Epp – Holdrege – Stop Motion Studio
- 2nd Shelby Nelson and Alyssa Johnson – Minden – Kids’ Nebraska Trivia
- 3rd Eldon Haack – Franklin – Ice Thrasher
Marie Curie Circle
- 1st Clay Maloley – Holdrege – Never Lost Arrow
- 2nd Michael Golus – Holdrege – Note Checker
- 3rd Kendellen Kellen – Holdrege – Sensory Bracelet
Leonardo DaVinci Circle
- 1st Trev Burke – Cambridge – The Ultimate Barbeque Tool
- 2nd Carson Wright and Ambrose Bloomfield – Minden – The Heating Shovel
- 3rd Ellie Pelster – Holdrege – Vacuum Sitter
Overall Fourth Grade Winner – Titus Epp – Holdrege – Stop Motion Studio
Alexander Graham Bell Circle
- 1st Addison Brown – Minden – Creamy Spoons
- 2nd Jerzie Vap – Holdrege – Cat Dog Hotel
- 3rd Samuel Cederburg – Minden – Crop Collector
Thomas Edison Circle
- 1st Jenna Samuelson and Kyenna Smith – Holdrege – Musical Lights
- 2nd Sophia Cederburg – Minden – Egg Collector
- 3rd Claire Hudson – Holdrege – Repellent Packs
Ruth Wakefield Circle
- 1st Caden Jameson and Carter Frecks – Minden – Serpent Stopper
- 2nd Addison Klabunde – Minden – Sleeping Bag 2.0
- 3rd Kylie Burken – Holdrege – Swimotivator
- 1st Mattie Kamery and Kara Suchsland – Minden – The MK Nail Marker
- 2nd Jainalynn Sharkey – Minden – The Pack to Go
- 3rd Cheyenne Vahl and Katie Vahl – Minden – The Kitty Board
Overall Fifth Grade Winner – Mattie Kamery and Kara Suchsland – Minden – The MK Nail Marker
Albert Einstein Circle
- 1st Emma Rasmussen – Cambridge – Finger Friend
- 2nd Charli Wells – Holdrege – Aqua Filter
- 3rd Jayda Schroeder – Holdrege – C.N.P.S.
Samuel Morse Circle
- 1st Brenna Deterding – Cambridge – Shopron
- 2nd Callie Whitten and Maddi Emery – Minden – Water Bottle Washer
- 3rd Saryn Prickett, Addison Siebles and Karsten Bradley – Alma – The Kiddie Write N’Go
Overall 6th Grade Winner – Brenna Deterding – Cambridge – Shopron
Wilbur and Orville Wright
- 1st Molly Burchell – Minden – The Table Cover
- 2nd Katelyn Althouse – Minden – The Boot Rack Overall
8th Grade Winner – Molly Burchell – Minden – The Table Cover
Inventor’s Choice Award – Jenna Samuelson and Kyenna Smith – Holdrege – Musical Lights
Summer Honors Program Class Descriptions 2018
ESU #11 sponsored the 25th Annual Jr. High Quiz Bowl at the Nebraska Prairie Museum in Holdrege on Wednesday, February 7th. Teams attending were Alma, Arapahoe, Bertrand, Cambridge, Elwood, Eustis-Farnam, Franklin, Holdrege, Loomis, Minden, Southern Valley, and Wilcox-Hildreth. Results were as follows:
Jason Sawyer, Coach
Autumn Deterding – Captain
Sandy Dean, Coach
Sara Scholz, Coach
Johanna Ford – Captain